Thursday 13 March 2008

How Was I Saved?

I know that Vodka donkey is a very lucky donkey - I have escaped from the fattening farm and my new life is going to be much much better. Or so they promise me. The jury's still out on this, you can never be too sure.

How did all this happen?

There is a nice lady called Debbie, who is very very busy, but when she ever has a moment, she helps the fat farm horses ponies and donkeys. She has set up a website called www.equinesection.com and this show pictures of many of the folks at the fat farm - it tells you what you have do to if you want to help save us from the bad lorry.

She organises for our pictures to be taken - mine really doesn't do me justice, though given how skinny I am I can hardly say does my ass look big in this - but I'm sure she didn't get my best profile. David Bailey she isn't.

But what the pictures tell you is who I am, what age I am, how tall I am, and if I have any diplomas or certificates that makes me a very valuable member of the horse community - sadly the reason most of are there is that we don't have that piece of paper that says we are a Pure Bred, or a whatever - don't ask me why it is important but for some reason in France if we don't have these magic pieces of papers, we can't do certain things so people don't want us.

Aunt Debbie has to negotiate with the owners of the fat farm so that they will let us go to the promised land and not to the bad land, and she organises that the man with the good lorry comes to pick us up and doesn't get lost and head towards Italy by mistake! Big mistake....

What you see is what you get, there is a price on our heads - well more our hides really - and if you pay this and pay for our transportation, then we get a lucky banner that says Reserved. Sadly most of the horses ponies and donkeys haven't found someone who will pay for the lucky banner for them, so they are still on the list for the Voyage of the Damned.

The happy section on the website is the Rescued bit - that's where I am - and then in the Imminent Danger bit you see the ones that are still there - some have the lucky banner but most don't.

Don't be fooled - if you don't get the lucky banner, then you are going to be dead. Tough but that's how it is.

I feel very guilty that I have been saved and yet there are more donkeys like me - and even younger than me - still there. My mum says she is going to do all she can to help them but she can't do it alone.

She says that if lots and lots of people gave up a drink at the weekend, or a packet of cigarettes (think how good that would be for you), instead of giving the money to the government you could give it to save a donkey. You know it makes sense.

This is the first blog that my new mum has created so she says sorry if she is a twit and doesn't know things, but she thinks there has to be a way that people reading it can reply and if they want to help they can say so. So if you know how it works, TELL HER. She won't be offended, it will probably just save her spending all night trying to work it out.

No comments: