Thursday 3 April 2008

He Who Saws At Teeth Cometh

We were brought in early today - huh, and it was nice weather for once, so I was a bit grumpy at being disturbed.

The 'vet' was here - great trepidation, sedation to Rosie horse who the vet thinks is a problem horse as the only time they saw her before was when she had a sore tummy and behaved very badly - so the rest of us were angelic in comparison and don't have to live up to much to be better behaved than Rosie.

I was sounded from all angles, and then had a needle stuck in me to protect me from something horrible called tetanus, which locks your jaws together and you die in a lot of pain. Now I can pass on that thank you.

I had this funny thing put in my mouth and my teeth were inspected from all angles - had I remembered to brush this morning, was I minty fresh? I seemed to pass ok as they didn't get the funny raspy thing and try to file away my little dainty dentures. Reckoned I was just a baby but a bit more flossing would be useful. Will do my best.

Ferguson was excellent - there was a student vet and she got to practice on him as he is so good he just stands there and yawns and lets it all happen. Molly horse is also a saintly horse when it comes to dentals, again she just poses with teeth and they can get on with it.

The spotty Aimee is the worst, she wriggles and wriggles and tries to evade but eventually she was declared ship shape or whatever.

And then the moment - was Rosie going to disgrace herself. The sedation in her food hadn't had much effect, not even a drooping of an eyelid - mum said she will fight it you know. Anyway, headcollar on, mum gets her scruffed so that it sedates her a bit more and one side of mouth is done. Rosie reckons it is finished and refuses to be caught again, but after a bit of gentle reasoning with her, she is brave enough to have the other side done. Now the bad bit - needle phobic Rosie has to be vaccinated - I never even flinched but this silly big horse almost faints at the sight of a needle - anything this time, with her eye covered, she manages to be brave enough for her jab. Sighs of relief all round.

Mum says 'she isn't as bad as you think, she is a total coward under neath it all', vet is grateful to be alive and intact.

Not a bad result all round.

No comments: