Sunday 15 March 2009

It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To - Happy Birthday Vodka

It's the official birthday of Vodka Donkey today, a year ago exactly I arrived in Dumfries & Galloway at my new home and met the Scottish stumpies Aimee and Ferguson.

I was an emaciated wreck of a donkey then, lights out, at the end of the road mentally, I had given up on life totally and whatever was to happen, get it over with. I had wintered out in France and was so thin, there was just a skeleton with some mangy fur on top. You could see every single bone in my body I was so so poor. Everyone cried when they saw me.

Now I am a fat pudding, groomed and sleek and no tangles in my long coat. My lights are on full beam and I have found my horn as well! On Friday, I did lots of galloping and bucking and kicking just to show how well I am and how happy I am. Poor Fergusin got chased up and down, with his little short legs trying to go faster, as I swung from his neck leaving teeth marks. N.B. must try to be more careful with Ferguson as he is tiny and I am so much faster.

I go out during the day into a big field and come in at night to a warm bed and my food which I have learnt is for sharing, not just for Vodka. I have rugs for all weathers (some I don't quite approve of as no one took me to the shops to let me select the colour and style) and generally I have nothing much to complain about, except perhaps getting my feet trimmed - I feel I should be going to a beauty salon but this man comes and wrestles with my feet and I don't appreciate it - I see myself in a chair, feet up, having my hair done, tooties painted pink etc.....oh well.

I was promised a party but I said no. I have everything I need or want thank you.

So for me, Vodka the sensitive kind donkey, it's a day to reflect on MY good fortune. I got the magic spankled banner that said reserved and from then on, since Robert came and picked me up, I have known nothing but kindness and love. I may not always understand what is being said to me, but I understand that I was SAVED and rehabilitated and given a future.

My life is now one big party, I am free to do what I want every day, with my friends, even if sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. Instead, today I am going to think about all my friends who didn't get saved, who did go on the bad lorry and who will continue to go on the bad lorry - I know that my life changed forever when I appeared on the ES site and someone out there wanted to help me. I don't need balloons, carrots, apples, cakes, all I needed was that special spangled banner that said Reserved. If I had a cake and blew out the candles, my wish would be for all the horses in the world to have a special spangled banner to protect them all their lives - do wishes come true?

No comments: