Friday 2 May 2008

Another Death In The Family




This is getting worrying - another one gone. This time it was a ginger hen - I didn't know her name (mum says she didn't have one as she, and 15 others like her, had come from a chicken concentration camp and all the hens looked very alike).

She got something called a prolapse - sounds nasty - and it couldn't be fixed, so the nice vet man who gave me an injection, gave her an injection which made her die - I am very relieved that he didn't get them mixed up, or I might be a Dead Vodka Donkey which would make updating my blog a bit difficult. Now that I know that injections can be good injections and bad injections I may be less willing to cooperate - mental note, develop needle phobia like Rosie cob and faint when you see one....

Mum says that hens like this little one don't tend to live very long, as they spend the first year or so of their lives laying eggs all the time, and they get very tired. Even if they get one of those special saved banners - these ones are much less expensive and only cost £0.50p per hen unlike the many many £s that are required for a special Vodka donkey - their little bodies are so worn out by the time they get their banner and are saved, they don't live for more than a year or two.

This is worrying as I intend to live much longer than that if you don't mind.

Mum says that if only people would pay more money for food, then little hens would have a better life, and wouldn't end up in these horrible cages where they can't move around and scratch and generally do the things that a little hen would like to do.

So farewell little hen - I am getting a bit worried, who is going to be number three.


No comments: