Thursday 28 August 2008

Cazaux Has A Pension Fund

My old friend Cazaux, happily living at Donkey Heaven aka Scottish Borders Donkey Sanctuary, is now a very lucky donkey, not only does he have a new home for life but he has a PENSION.

Aimee donkey is, I hate to admit it, clever. She does these things called Street Collections, where she goes to a town centre and hangs around and eats polo mints, apples, carrots (oh and not forgetting she gets her feed bucket and haynet as well). For some reason, people give her money - this is the bit I can't figure out. I mean I haven't worked out what useful function she performs yet so why give her money? Oh well, no accounting for it.

Anyway, she was in Ayr, a local seaside town, on Saturday and she posed and preened and generally did her stuff from 1030 in the morning to 430 in the afternoon - rather her than me, I was in the field all day chilling out. People brought her gifts - like organic carrots from Marks and Spencers - and she stood there like a little spotted princess and ate and slept. Mum says we won't mention about her lifting her tail and mum having to get the rubber gloves and plastic bags out.

Mum says that this is all well and good, people get worried that the little donke may be tired, but little donkey had breakfast before she left, then her bucket at lunchtime, plus a running buffet all day and has four legs to stand on - mum had a cup of tea before she left, having mucked out all the stables, hung up haynets etc for the return of the conquering heroine - and no one thought of feeding her a sandwich or a nice hot cup of tea. She also would like it to be noted that her feet and back were giving her gipp but no one asked how she was.

I suppose I can see her point. Anyway Aimee, bless her little cotton socks, raised £588 and this has been given to Cazaux as his pension - Donkey Heaven says that will pay his expenses for a year, so they are very pleased. I hadn't realised that donkeys cost so much every year - does this mean that mum has to spend all this money on me as well?

Maybe better not ask that question I suspect.

No comments: